If socializing in groups, and sharing common interests and hobbies is your thing Meetup.com is for you.
It is a network exclusively for you, where users have the opportunity to join groups or create them where everyone has a general interest in common, do you like to go hiking but don’t like to go alone, how about looking for a group that shares that interest in common?
Here you can make friends and well… Maybe you will find something else, this is the perfect platform to meet others while talking about what you are passionate about. Don’t miss the opportunity to be part of the Meetup.com community.
How does it work?
Meetup.com is a social network created in 2002 in the state of New York, USA. Meetup allows its members to meet in real life via groups united by a common interest, in short, it is a network where you find a group with the hobby of your preference, you join and plan to meet and do group activities based on the central theme of the group, sounds fun, doesn’t it?
The registration process is very simple where you only need to provide the following:
- E-mail address.
After that everything is optional, you place the details of your preference in your profile to make it more reliable and natural data such as gender, hometown, a short paragraph talking about yourself, and of course a profile picture.
Practically, opening a profile here is a very simple thing that does not take a lot of time, it is very practical in that sense.
What does the MeetUp profile include?
Well, at this point, the user should have already established a profile (at least the basics), but the interesting part is missing.
After the registration process, you will be able to explore the platform and you will realize that it is very easy to use, you have the little notification bell in case something of interest or that has to do with you happens.
The message box, you know in case you want to talk to someone and keep the communication going. Something interesting is that you can link your account with Facebook to see which of your friends have joined this community.
It also has a search engine to make it easier to find events or groups with common hobbies… or who knows something different that caught your attention and you decided to try. If you click on the meetup icon it will load a section where a calendar and the events you have agreed to attend will appear. Then suggestions of events or groups based on your interests or your location for your convenience.
Meetup features or functions:
- You can upload as many photos as you like to your personal profile.
- Up to 500 photos can be added to a Meetup group album.
- There is no limit to the number of albums a Meetup group can have.
- Site-wide profiles include only very basic information.
- Within a particular Meetup group, members can create a group-specific profile that answers more detailed questions related to the group’s topic or interest.
- Some groups require the completion and approval of a profile to become a member.
- Emails can be sent to other members through the site, with the option to hide your email address.
- Meetup groups of which you are a member.
Privacy and security features.
- Users can be reported or blocked.
- Interests, Meetup groups, and photos can be made private.
- Some group content is only visible to group members.
- Although Meetup is not designed as a dating site, the Singles category is one of the most popular. Hundreds of groups exist to help single members meet in cities around the world.
- Find a singles group that appeals to you by exploring the options available under the “Singles” tab. Taking the time to find a group tailored to your interests increases the likelihood that you will meet compatible people.
- Common singles meetups include speed dating events, singles parties at bars and nightclubs, cocktail parties, cruises, dance classes, festivals, reunions, etc.
- Many Meetup groups cater to specific age ranges or interests, such as mature singles, travel enthusiasts, young professionals, and interracial dating.
- Meetup dating doesn’t have to be reserved for groups of singles. Take advantage of the opportunity and join any group that piques your curiosity; you never know where your next date will come from.
Create your own Meetup group.
- If you don’t find what you’re looking for, it’s easy to start your own Meetup group.
- Enter the location.
- Choose a name, add topics, and write a description.
- Customize the appearance of the Group’s home page.
- Select an organizer fee plan.
- Schedule your first Meetup.
Meetup only charges event organizers and groups. It does not charge a fee for interacting on the social network. In the case of creating a group this would be the fee:
- $12/month for 6 months.
- $15/month for 3 months.
- 19 for the month-to-month billing option.
*Some organizers divide the monthly fee among the members of the group they manage depending on the organizer of each group.
Advantages and disadvantages:
Nothing in this life is perfect, but Match aspires to excellence in the dating world. Let’s see, its pros and cons.
- Make new friends: Meetup puts you in touch with like-minded people who want to do the same activities as you. You can make lasting friendships with people you might not otherwise have met and expand your social group with people you know you have something in common with.
- Find numbers for your activities: sometimes you may know what you like to do and even have a couple of people to do it with, but require a larger number of people for the specific activity – you can find these additional people to round out your team or group, or just grow your group with more people!
- Meet with others in a supervised environment: Meetup groups generally involve a larger number of people meeting in public places, which can increase your personal safety. The website also offers a feature to report abusive users, and organizers have the power to remove abusive group members. Simply send a message or email the organizer to report any concerns you have, and they will take appropriate action.
- Safety concerns: despite the ability to report other users, you still encounter people who are often strangers. This presents potential risks to your security, especially since Meetup does not have an identity verification process. Anyone with an email address can register and appear as they wish on the website, so you should be careful when meeting in person with other users.
- Possible inadvertent costs: although free to use, some organizers will charge group membership fees. They may also make you responsible for your own supplies, meals, and transportation, which means that some groups can become expensive over time.
- Make new friends
- Find numbers for your activities
- Meet with others in a supervised environment
- Safety concerns
- Possible inadvertent costs
Meetup, a social network for sharing and hanging out with new people or acquaintances who have one or more hobbies in common, this network is rated 8 out of 10.